Sunday, November 2, 2008

Winter Bloomers

It's finally cold enough to break out those warm winter socks and tights- lots of layering, here I come!
I love love love socks of all kinds: knee-high, over-the-knee and thigh high especially- and wearing skirts and dresses to show them off!
But there is a specific problem one encounters when the temperature dips below zero- no matter how warm your socks and thick your tights (and don't enough think about pantyhose!) cold wind goes right up yer skirt and chills your poor panty-clad bottom! So how to solve this problem?
Not a pair of shorts. No pair of shorts- no matter how woolen or fleecy- can stop the cold air sneaking around your thighs.

No- the answer is bloomers... made of the softest and coziest fleece!
This one-hour project was a direct result of wanting to wear my big collection of wonderful thigh-highs, but suffering all day long of cold wind blowing up my skirt. Bloomers are the only answer because they are cut fuller than shorts (more fabric = more warmth) and they are gathered/elasticated at the leg opening so your bottom half remains contained and cozy. Thanks to the elastic, they can even be hitched up to a boyshort length or pulled down halfway to the knees.

As soon as I slipped these babies on I felt warmer instantly. Can it be that I can wear skirts with impunity now- no more chilled bum when I sit down, no crossing my knees and shivering when a breeze goes by? Even if they won't stop my legs turning blue, they'll make a difference.

Next I'll make a version with heavier weight fleece. Experiment with the trim. Maybe a version with a built-in garter belt on the inside?? I'm totally bringing bloomers BACK.

3 comments:

Belle Ecrivaine said...

Plus with bloomers, you don't have to worry about pulling a LiLo or a Britney when getting in or out of a car.

Dot said...

If they are cute enough, flashing your bloomers will become extremely chic.
Maybe I should send a pair to these celebrities to kick off this craze. But only the ones that have lived in cold weather will understand...

Chelsea Girl said...

hey Dot! how's it hang'n? Am I the only costume studies graduate that gave it up? ah well....I've still got the skills....just zero drive. I'm jealous of your passion.