Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Li'l Red


Hello yo,

Just a little update to show off this morning's stitchin'... and my 2nd backup Halloween costume.
YES. I have a SECOND Halloween costume. Though I have worn Tim Burton's Catwoman for the last Halloween and a FanExpo, it is simply too good a costume to not wear as often as possible.

Surely you must agree. (see Fig.1)

...Also, due to extenuating circumstances (Europe trip) I had no time or money to make my ambitious $400+ costing 18th century French court gown.
Next year, okay.

Anyway- see Mattie model my own version of Li'l Red in da Hood. (once again, the lighting in my apartment and my camera make the lovely dark reds look orange)

I guiltily enjoy "adult" versions of fairytale costumes but the ones you can buy look so terrible- not because of design but poor fabric choices and horrendous construction. Better get a cute or sexy outfit that you would actually wear, and get creative with the accessories. It looks way better, and you will not see anyone else wearing the same costume (how many identical girly pirates did I see last year? argh.) It's not hard to find a non-costume circle skirt or a real bustier, guys.

Honestly, I tend to love craftsmenship over creativity when it comes to costumes. It's a time to raise the bar and kill 'em dead with your costume-making skillz. (okay- for just me, then) Then again, I really love the Halloween costumes that come together with items thrown together from your own closet! (yes, my wardrobe is that freaky!)
I just grabbed fabric and little metal fastener for the cape on Sunday and put it together today. Yay! A costume I can wear when I don't feel like struggling into a skin-tight, heat-and-moisture retaining vinyl catsuit! This is probably an outfit I would wear out any night of the week!

No comments: