Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Another month, another costume party

This month I got creative with a "Mobsters and Dames" themed Masq as a 30's cabaret dancer. I am accompanied by Meaghan, who used awesome makeup skills to perfectly emulate a silent movie actor, a la Clara Bow.

The craft aspect was the sequined bustier (custom-drafted pattern, fully lined, fully boned). It is a MESS but it looks great because the fabric was so forgiving and hid all the mistakes. It was my first time working with stretch sequins.

I have learned:
- stretch fabric is stretchy and needs to be made smaller than normal clothes. (so often i neglect this fact)
- industrial fishnet tights are incredible- they conform to your legs perfectly, retain their shape, and are immune to picks and runs. They are also extremely uncomfortably itchy and feel like fishing net.
- I would like to start designing panties.

P.S: I am spending all my knitting time at Ravelry which is taking significant attention away from this blog- oh my.

P.P.S: I fly to Yellowknife in exactly a month and must now face the dilemma of bringing a sewing machine and tons of fabric and supplies up there, oh lordy.

** photo credit goes to Paul Smith

No comments: