Thursday, March 12, 2009

owl obsession

This month's craft blog is devoted to the big (and well-deserved) hype of the month: Watchmen. I will be seeing it again soon for the third time in 2 weeks (but this time in IMAX. So. Excited.) And I loved it. (You either do or don't) But probably the reason that keeps me going back is the overwhelming amount of man candy in a single movie.

PATRICK WILSON AS NITE OWL = SEX ON LEGS
...even with the weight gain and retro haircut! Dan was always my favorite in the graphic novel (underdog? nerdy? gentleman? multiple costumes? awesome ship? HELLO FANTASY BOYFRIEND) and the movie just cemented the crush.

On that note- which Nite Owl fan doesn't have an obsession with the infamously cute snowsuit from the graphic novel? (look it up in the book if you don't know what it is- don't have a pic to post) Inspired by posts of fan plushies across the internets (mostly of Rorschach) I knew it MUST be done.
Time: 9-10 hours / Material: Felt, Fleece, Faux Fur, Acrylic paint, stitchwitch, plastic buttons

This is my very first attempt at making a custom plushie (entirely self-drafted pattern). Considering it was about 90% handsewn I think it came together extremely quickly (there is also a strong motivation aspect when being propelled by fandom)
The coat is not removable and the legs are only continued up to the waist. (where they are then sewn to the coat)

I call it "Version 1.0" because I definately plan to make another one to perfect the design- although the prototype was definately necessary to test the effectiveness of the pattern.
Version 2.0 will include:
- felting the brown "feathers" detail into the fleece, instead of paint
- refining the sewing and stuffing
- more ovalish eyes
Because it was such a success, I did consider making an entirely separate doll to be encased in the coat but it would simply be too much for my skills (and wouldn't get the desired cuddly chubbiness that this plush boasts)

Of course, I lamented this version was not in the movie (probably cause it looks like the kind of coat grannies wear) but I appreciated the high-tech version with zip-up snuggie sleeves. Perhaps he could have put the hood up- but then the chorus of "awwwws!" would have drowned out the soundtrack.

Next in the plan: Rorschach plushie with changeable masks!!!

No comments: